Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Black-throated Valentine

Black-throated Sparrow, (c) & courtesy of Bill Schmoker
Who doesn’t love Valentine’s Day? It’s the day we officially get to celebrate romantic love with heart-shaped goodies, long-stem roses, candle-lit dinners, and all things milk-chocolatey. But for my wife and me, it’s become the day to celebrate the annual arrival of an old friend.

It all began a long, long, long time ago. February 14, 2014, to be exact. I was out in the field – somewhere – doing bird surveys when the wife texted me. Guess what? read the message, probably in those exact words. I stepped outside this morning and heard two sweet toots followed by a pretty trill. The black-throated sparrows are back!

This was indeed textworthy news. At our little slice of paradise in the Joshua tree forest of northwest Arizona where the Grand Canyon opens its craggy maw upon Lake Mead, Black-throated Sparrows share our two acres of pristine high desert for most of the year. But at some point in November, typically, they abandon us for a few months to head south for warmer climes. Our resident Cactus Wrens no doubt laugh at them. Our resident Black-tailed Gnatcatchers jeer: Wiimp wiimp wiimp wiimp wiimps!

It’s probably true that no one enjoys being mocked, so at some point in the waning days of winter, the blackthroats return – if for no other reason than to shut up the laughing ladderbacks. But when, exactly?

I think I now know. This year – 2015 – I happened to be home on the 14th of February. As is my wont, I awoke just before dawn and stepped outside onto the deck to check the temperature. Then I heard it. Two sweet woodwind toots followed by a piccolo trill. Black-throated Sparrow! First of season!

“Hey! Guess who’s back?” I whispered delightedly.

My wife guessed right. She was as excited as I was.

It was a great Valentine’s Day gift for us this year.  Truly memorable!

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment