Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Nevada Bird Count is Winding Down, Part 2

As I mentioned last post, I asked my crew to share some memorable moments of the season, and here’s a continuation... 



Rayann: “ I was really looking forward to finding a Sage Grouse this season, however, no luck even with the hours of scouring sagebrush.  I also won’t ever forget the most difficult transect I did this season, PJ-Control, in the Desatoyas, followed by my most favorite/beautiful transect, MR-SmithCreek.

Rayann's Warbling Vireo nest, Smith Creek




My biggest fear of this season was getting bit by a rattlesnake, and when we were camping near Smith Creek, there was a Great Basin rattlesnake.  I was pretty paranoid sleeping there that night, and around 3 am I heard rustling in the bushes … but it was only a bunny!”







This past week, Rayann and I also had a really big surprise – up in the Pine Forest Range, foraging next to Onion Valley Reservoir, we saw a Long-tailed Jaeger!  Sadly, it is now long gone – we, along with an envious rest of the crew, scanned the area the next couple days without finding it … but wow!  My first jaeger.  I took a few extraordinarily bad photos – here they are:










Dave's area search downstream of Schurz

Dave: “The Walker River corridor near Schurz is a very birdy place. After visiting an area search site on eight separate occasions, I ended up with nearly 30 confirmed/probable breeding species.  But on my last visit to the site on July 7, I was in for a true surprise.  On a cottonwood tree no more than 15 meters from me, a perched Yellow-billed Cuckoo began singing.  What great luck!  After enjoying great views of it for over a minute, lightning struck again.   A second cuckoo flew into the tree by the first!  To brazenly steal a pun from another birder I know, this was kukukukCool! 





I'll be posting the final installment of anecdotes and other tales in a few days.  My final surveyors hung up their binoculars today, so the birding portion of Nevada Bird Count is now over until next year.   A few veg surveys left, and lots and lots of data!   Happy birding, 

-- Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment